Wednesday 7 November 2007

Another Week Gone By

This week is going so quick I seriously think that as you get older time passes so much faster. I have one more day of work this week and then I have a three day weekend YAHOO. But on saying that I have five days next week juggling my two jobs and that is tiring in itself. You finish one and then head on to the next. On Sunday just past we had a little baby pee wee (a bird) come into our care (our success rate on animals has not been great lately) so I thought after assessing its injuries that it would be dead pretty quickly I was wrong it is hanging in there sadly though I think it will have to put down because it has had it eyes pecked out by other birds. So we have a blind bird that is surviving maybe because it can't see us and can't be frightened to death (by us). How ironic is that.

On a brighter note we leave for overseas in seven weeks and am counting down in both days and money. Since becoming casual I am not earning what I used to and am hunting down all the work I can so we can actually afford our trip without coming home with nothing in the bank. I have been saying what if I hadn't quit my part-time job, but if I hadn't we wouldn't be going away because I think they would have taken me away in a straight jacket months ago sad to say.

Lucky Update

Lucky has been moved into his teenage room and I received pay back in full on Sunday night, (stupid stupid) me decided to spend some time with him in his new environment bad move on my part he cornered me, he jumped on my shoulder and peed all down my back then he proceeded to mark his territory not once but three times consequently I have two bite marks on my arm and back (he made me bleed) and three huge bruises and a couple of big scratches. He actually scared me at the time but I have had time to assess what he did and why (what a learning experience).

So my advice for all new carers if you have a possum that suffers from stress and you are mad enough to bath them and put cream on them (basically care for them as some people will tell you to do I am talking about the bathing etc.) DON'T. They will seek their revenge when you least expect it and scare you into having nightmares. Don't get me wrong maybe I am just a glutton for punishment but I have got back in his cage to feed and care for him because bottom line I care and I think that is what caring for our wildlife needs someone who is maybe hurt proof or just plain stupid whatever I won't stop what I am doing I love it. On the same note you really have to assess each animal and gauge what is right for them that will only come with experience.

Mogwai Update

My Boy is just getting bigger and bigger he will move on soon sad to say. I again was pretty stupid the other night thinking he has gone from having lots of exercise to hardly none at all so I got him out to have a bit of exercise on the clothes line (and he had jumped on my head leaving extra holes again) WRONG he had his run and when I went to put him in his cage he jumped onto the top of his cage and proceeded to run up the side of our house (we have a high set house). So I have this teenage possum twenty feet from the ground and wondering how on earth I was going to get him down my immediate thought was his favourite thing of course (food). It worked but I will not do it again.

I know I rave on about my animals but I do get a lot of enjoyment out of what we do and am hoping when we return from England we will have lots more. Our co-ordinator would like us to take a few adult possums before we go to fatten them up for release but I don't want to. Who ever we get to house sit will basically be lumbered with animals they don't know how to care for and or don't want to care for.

No comments: