Friday 16 November 2007

Generations put at risk

Several weeks ago in the news and in some magazine articles there was an issue raised about the use of sun beds as in solarium treatment where you go in and get a tan with out going out into the sun. It was a story about getting a tan that was to suppose to be safe. Wrong a young person has died as the result of this and this week another a young woman died. She was the mother of a very young child (under one year) she was the daughter of a fellow worker and friend. For her family I feel great sorrow, and for her child that will never know her mother and her mother's love.

I question society as it is now. I have two daughters who I worry about all the time. My youngest daughter is always dying, tinting and having foils put in her hair maybe this will not cause great harm but I am thinking when she is my age she will probably be bald.

I look back on the things that have been supposedly great things like diethylstilboestrol (Des) which in the 1950's was a drug many doctors gave to women to prevent miscarriage. But years down the track the daughters of these women have an increased risk of breast, vaginal and cervical cancer. I don't know if it has any risk in the male generation.

There have been many new drugs and new things put out there for people to use and I ask how safe are they. So yes I worry when my children have children what will they be offered. I will say try natural before prescription drugs. Don't get me wrong I don't not take medication but I am starting to question the necessity.

So what new drug or treatment out now are the professionals going to sell and the not so professionals going to push and what harm are they going to cause in future generations.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Very sound reasoning here Madonna. I agree with you completely. If I can avoid taking legitimate drugs, or reduce the time I take them, I do. (Except antibiotics, because you need the full dose.)
Hope Steve gets well soon.Say Hi from me. Dave.

Dave said...

Hi again Madonna. Thanks for your comment on my blogsite. I have replied to it there.
Regards, Dave.

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.