Wednesday 5 March 2008

It has been awhile

Well where can I start I have had such a full on four weeks since I started tafe. I have learn't so much I don't whether I have taken much in but it has been fun. Apart from all the riparian zones and the benthic zones and lots more I have done, ( how should I put this) I have met an interesting other side of me. That is how I am feeling. The first day I met a fellow student, we found we have so much in common it is scary. Now I think we could be really connected some how. She is around my age hasn't studied for the same amount of time, has two sons the same age as my two girls, has been separated and divorced the same amount of time, is living with a guy just like my Steve and so so many other little things, don't laugh but even our teeth have a similar story. Apart from all that she is she is a lovely lady and I am enjoying getting to know her and what else we may have in common. Funny thing is I have yet to ask her when her birthday is.

Getting away from that, the other day we had our first of many field trips where we got to rip out weeds etc. This trip consisted of us walking out to a small island off Wellington Point and digging up prickly pear. It is a 20minute walk (take into account we had wheel barrows, digging equipment, a roll of fencing wire, buckets, bags for rubbish and black plastic) and we were set. There was no water (except what you bought with you and no toilets). Did I mention it was in the middle of the day. Apart from all that when we finished I felt we had done something significant for the environment. We are all still picking out prickles out of our clothes, gloves etc one guy said he found one in his beard.

On my days off from tafe I have been working in my old job. Such a day was today, I honestly don't miss my old job and am looking to the future in the hope I get a job in what I am learning. I was quite down after today and really look forward to my days at tafe at the moment. I think I was never destined to be in a cage.

On a brighter note we have new babies, we have three new possums two ringtails and a brushtail (don't tell Steve but Sarah and I just got Clive our brushtail out and he escaped SSSHHHHHHH.) We caught him again but still we were very bad to get him in the first place but he is just sooooo cute. Hopefully I will get some pics soon. I promise I won't get him out again. That was for Steve as he will read this. Love you babe.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Good on you for your conservation efforts Madonna. - Dave

Madonna said...

Thanks Dave I am finding everything very daunting at the moment. I love the field trips and getting my hands dirty so to speak just having trouble with the tasks they set you for assessments. I have not been in a classroom for 30 years.