Friday 28 March 2008

Pain

Last night I decided to silly me, weigh our new ringtail possums even though we have had them for several weeks, now I understand why we have not tried this before. I walked away with a bleeding finger to the point I have not been able to move it for most of today and bruises and scratches all up my arm.(Oh and it peed all over me). Next time I try this I will wear full body armour. Although there won't be a next time real soon unless Steve does it and I don' think that will happen.

On a sadder note we have a few local possums that visit our yard and tonight we had one come onto our patio (not a usual thing)it had an eye that was red and inflamed, it needed attention but it moved on before we could look at it properly. I am quite worried about the implications of this as we have several baby possums in care, if it has a disease it could spread to them.

On a brighter note I have spent the week in the field weeding and revegetating and I have had so much fun. Today though was animal day so we went out to some migratory bird watching shelters and observed the birds, some of which will leave our shores in the next couple of weeks and move onto Alaska via Japan to breed then back here. What a journey to just have some kids (we as humans don't realise how easy our lives are). Imagine flying thousands of kilometres to give birth leave your babies and fly back and then a couple of weeks later the babies fly all the way to find you. The mind boggles.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Re- those birds, my e-pal in Anchorage, Alaska sent me an article about birds that spend summer in New Zealand then fly to Alaska to mate in their summer, then next summer return here. It sure is a long way to fly! Amazing.
- Dave