Wednesday 17 October 2007

Animals Everywhere

Well this week I have worked at the vets for three shifts. Last night Steve got home before me and he had cleaned out Lucky's cage and got all of the feed bowls ready, he had fed the cat and the dog and was just about to get some native branches when I arrived home. And guess what I had an injured ringtail possum (a mum with a joey) a car had ran over her tail (we think), it isn't broken but very bloody and sore and she is in shock. So by the time Steve and I had settled her and finished all the other animals we were happy to sit and have a drink.

But today I went to work at the vets again and I have just bought home an abandoned noisy minor baby. So I now have to go and get a cage for it as all the ones we have are to big. I am going to have to try to restrain myself from taking all the injured native animals home as I don't think our house will be big enough. Our menagerie at the moment consists of a dog, cat, cockatiel, four chooks, a pond full of fish, snake, blue tongue, two baby brushtail possums, a ringtail and her joey and a noisy minor.

Lucky Update

Lucky is doing better but still has a long road ahead of him, his scabs are nearly all gone and he really looks like a poodle. He is also getting out of his drey more which means he is feeling better so I hope he keeps improving but the next hurdle will be when he has to moved into his teenage room (the big bird aviary). That can be stressful and that is not what he needs. We will have to keep our fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.

Mogwai Update

On the other hand mogwai is doing really well and making lots of noise in his teenage room. He has a habit now of when you go near the cage at night of launching himself on to the mesh in front of your face and scaring the hell out of you. I think he quiet enjoys scaring us. He most probably sits in his drey the next day and has a good laugh. He is missing the attention though, we are weaning him off us but we have to get in his cage to clean it and feed him and he just has to get out of his drey for a cuddle, he got me again the other night but this time on the cheek (roughly a two inch scratch) which he tried to make up for by grooming my hair. He is one cheeky possum.


All our animals are great, I have one more shift this week at the vets I hope no injured wildlife comes in because if I say yes again I think Steve might lose it. Not really he loves them all to.




No comments: